Wednesday 11 September 2013

I Capture The Castle Book Review



So I just finished reading this last night and I just had to review it!!!



I'm going to try and do a no spoilers review in case any of you want to read it :)

The book was written by Dodie Smith (she wrote 101 Dalmatians bet you didn't know that!) and was actually published in 1949 so it's been around for a while but it is very accessible and is written so beautifully that you find yourself longing to live in the novel.

The book starts off with "I write this sitting in the kitten sink. That is, my feet are in it". It is written in diary form by a girl called Cassandra (how I wish I was her) and she lives in a castle with her older sister, her father and her step mother. But this castle is absolutely run down and they have their father to thank for that; he wrote a very successful book and bought the castle with his earnings but then never wrote again leaving the family in cold and uncomfortable conditions. 

Throughout the book Cassandra goes about capturing everyone and everything (hence I capture the castle) making it very descriptive and a pleasure to read. I absolutely loved it mostly because the characters are so well written and interesting and I loved each and every one of them and I didn't want it to end.

I don't want to give too much away so I will leave it at that but I would definitely recommend having a read because it just might be my favourite book.

5 comments:

  1. This isn't a book I would normally pick up, but I really feel like giving it a try! x

    www.pillarbox-post.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the book I would have chosen either and for years my mom told me I would like it and I always thought I wouldn't but I tried it and loved it so give it a try and I'm sure you will love it too :)
      Lots of love Emily xxxx

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this author before. I love the simple cover though.

    IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the new publication, I picked the photo because the cover is gorgeous xxxx
      Lots of love Emily xxx

      Delete
  3. I have this sitting on my shelf and I've read a little of it so far, it's fantastic so far!
    Jess from http://theadorabledork.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete